Downsville Cob

Welcome to the Downsville Church of the Brethren BLOG site. The church is located in Downsville, MD. We are a conservative Christian community lifting up the Name of Jesus daily.

Name:
Location: Downsville, Maryland, United States

I am the Pastor of the Downsville Church of the Brethren. This BLOG was set up to allow for interchanges of views, questions, ideas or suggestions concerning the Evangelical Church. While I am a Pastor in the Church of the Brethren all faiths are welcome to join the discussions.

Saturday, February 11, 2006

To Change a Light Bulb

How Many Pastors does it take to change a light bulb?

John 1:5 "The light shines in the darkness, but the darkness has not understood it"

The bulb in the fixture by the front door blew out - several weeks ago. My wife has brought this to my attention on a few occasions [during the 10 o'clock news when I let the dogs out] and I dutifully promise to change it - just not right now.

Today I changed the light bulb. It only took one pastor. First, of course, I had to go to the basement to find a bulb and then up the steps out to the garage to get the ladder. Then, with bulb in my shirt pocket and ladder in hand I went around front, set up the ladder, climbed up, unscrewed the plate that holds the top on the lamp, unscrewed the bad bulb, screwed in the good bulb, put the plate back on and screwed it back in place. Now I had to see if the light would indeed shine in the darkness so it's around the house [the front door was locked] and into the house to the front door to turn it on. Like I said, it only takes one pastor to change a light bulb.

Then I had to take the ladder back to the garage, throw away the old bulb and the job was done. Now do you see why it took me so long to getting around to changing that simple bulb.

Is that the way you are about daily reading of the scripture. Do you have to find the Bible and then just the right spot first? Do you put it off for days on end because it's just easier not to do it than it is to go to all that trouble just to read for 10 minutes a day?

This is why the darkness has not understood it. We need to spend every day in the WORD so that the darkness is pushed further and further back by the Truth.

Wilkie Nunn, Pastor, Downsville Church of the Brethren

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home