Downsville Cob

Welcome to the Downsville Church of the Brethren BLOG site. The church is located in Downsville, MD. We are a conservative Christian community lifting up the Name of Jesus daily.

Name:
Location: Downsville, Maryland, United States

I am the Pastor of the Downsville Church of the Brethren. This BLOG was set up to allow for interchanges of views, questions, ideas or suggestions concerning the Evangelical Church. While I am a Pastor in the Church of the Brethren all faiths are welcome to join the discussions.

Saturday, February 18, 2006

Really Slippery Slope

How much is the Church willing to accept?

In this week's news is a report that the openly gay Episcopalean Bishop, "V. Gene Robinson, is being treated for alcoholism, a step that surprised friends and colleagues but seems unlikely to threaten his position in the church." [Quote is from the Chicago Tribune].

Not surprisingly the church leadership that promoted this unrepentant sinner is standing behind their decision. What's next for Robinson? Is there no stopping this slide into acceptance of any and all types of sin without ever asking for repentance?

If Robinson had left his wife for another woman and was living openly with a woman who is not his wife would he have been given the opportunity to become a Bishop? We all know that the answer here is NO.

Yet, the world is trying to convince us that some forms of sexual immorality are acceptable to God. Unless every translation I consulted is wrong then God still condemns sexual immorality by everyone of us.

There is little doubt in my mind that Robinson is a man who gives in readily to the weaknesses of the flesh. He needs the guidance of the leadership of the church, not it's duplicity.

We are all tempted on a regular basis. That's what Satan does. This is especially true of those of us who stand firm in proclaiming the WORD. If we send the kind of confusing message that Robinson is sending we are bolstering the message of Satan not the WORD of God.

Wilkie Nunn, Pastor, Downsville Church of the Brethren

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Pastor Wilk, you sound awfully self-righteous in this one for a recovering alcoholic and sexual sinner, as you said you were when I asked you about your life 30 years ago. Have you no compassion for Gene Robinson? Are you really so anti-gay? It troubles me. I feel more humble about imposing my ideas of right and wrong on others.

Tuesday, September 18, 2007 6:13:00 PM  
Blogger Wilk said...

Thanks for your thoughtful comment. I re-read the original posting and see where you could get the idea that I was being anti-gay. What I am against - then and now - is the church failing to hold those of us in Pastoral Ministry to a higher standard than the world does.

If I left my wife and was living with any other human or animal with whom I was indulging in sexual immorality (how's that for inclusion?) I would lose my job.

Yet, the Episcopal Church did not sanction Robinson when he left his wife to live with a man. It didn't even stop his promotion to Bishop. They haven't sanctioned him about being admitted to alcohol treatment. I am quite sympathetic to Robinson's plight. He is, apparently, unable to hold himself to the standards set forth for us by Jesus and his denomination has failed him - that's the slippery slope.

I know many Pastors who fail miserably to live up to the standards set down in the Scriptures but they do not expect the church to support them in these choices. I struggle on a daily basis with the same kinds of temptations that Satan threw at Bishop Robinson. I learned years ago that allowing myself to be drawn into them would only lead to more destructive behavior.

The body of Christ must help the Pastors stand firm against temptation. If they do not - if they allow the culture to tell them what is right instead of relying on the scriptures - then the church forfeits it's moral authority.

What bothers me most about the Robinson saga is that the Episcopalian Church is duplicitous in his failures. Of course, this is the same denomiation that has a Priest who also claims to be a fully believing Muslim. She knows she can get away with these obviously contradictory stances because the church will not impose any penalty.

We (all humanity) are too weak to stand alone against the forces of darkness. Those of us who are Pastors do not need to waste our precious time explaining to non-believers that hypocrisy is not the true creed of the Christian Church.

Wilk

Wednesday, September 19, 2007 11:39:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for your thoughtful response too. I believe I understand your point better now. It is indeed a burden to be held by the Church to a higher standard than the average person must meet. But if you left your wife for someone else, I would think that losing your job might be the least of your worries. I am enjoying being in fellowship with you.

Wednesday, October 03, 2007 7:36:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home