Downsville Cob

Welcome to the Downsville Church of the Brethren BLOG site. The church is located in Downsville, MD. We are a conservative Christian community lifting up the Name of Jesus daily.

Name:
Location: Downsville, Maryland, United States

I am the Pastor of the Downsville Church of the Brethren. This BLOG was set up to allow for interchanges of views, questions, ideas or suggestions concerning the Evangelical Church. While I am a Pastor in the Church of the Brethren all faiths are welcome to join the discussions.

Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Getting away TO it all

Matthew 18:2-5 - 2 He called a little child and had him stand among them. 3 And he said: "I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. 4 Therefore, whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven. 5 "And whoever welcomes a little child like this in my name welcomes me.

At this time of year most of us, Pastors included, get into the annual frenzy of activity that has come to characterize the Christmas season. Normally we wouldn't think of December as a good time to put our lives on hold, leave the comfort of our homes and families and drive hundreds of miles to volunteer to work in a warehouse so that children the world over could get a shoebox sized present. But that is exactly what 7 of us (the perfect number) from Downsville have done.

We are currently wrapping up two full days of volunteering for Samaritan's Purse in the Operation Christmas Child processing center in Charlotte, NC. The physical work, though great for the body (thank God for anti-inflamatory medicines!!), pales beside the work of the LORD through these small packages. These shoeboxes come from all over the US to go to children all over the world.

This has been a truly humbling and uplifting experience. That was to be expected. What has been unexpected is that this simple plan - volunteer for a couple of days - has been a chance to get away from the hectic to the awesome! Awesome is a word many use to describe everything from pizza to cars but we, as Christians, know that the word awesome can only truly describe the presence and the work of the LORD.

By humbling ourselves like children, the scriptures tell us that we will become "the greatest in the kingdom of heaven." That isn't why I am doing this. I am doing this because - "... whoever welcomes a little child like this in my name welcomes me."

By leaving work, home and our hectic schedules - something most people refer to as getting away FROM it all I discover that I have actually gotten away TO it all. I have broken free from the hectic demands of the Christmas season to return to the true "Reason For The Season". Each and every one of the thousands of shoeboxes I touched in the past 2 days have been an opportunity to welcome "a little child" in His Name. Each and every one of the thousands of shoeboxes I touched in the past 2 days have been and opportunity to welcome Him! Each and every one of the thousands of shoeboxes I touched have taken me away TO it all!

Wilkie Nunn
Pastor
Downsville Church of the Brethren

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Pastor WIlk -- Nice to find a new post from you.

And I know exactly what you mean. I hate all the materialism and the hectic shopping, partying, etc. that seems to come with Christmas. I know that it does not come FROM Christmas, and I would be in favor of dropping most all of it!

I hope you are living in peace with yourself, your family, & your God. Merry Christmas.
Your anonymous friend

Saturday, December 22, 2007 10:02:00 PM  
Blogger Wilk said...

Dear Wilkie, It was my pleasure to go and serve with you and the team at the Samaritans Purse. God blessed our time there. Even though my back hurt and I found I had muscles between my shoulders I had forgot I had, I would not have traded the time for any other cause. I loved every minute of it and am looking forward to going next year. I will be in better shape after I reach 70 in the New Year. I especially enjoyed our time together on the road. Thanks Ron

Monday, December 31, 2007 7:24:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home