Downsville Cob

Welcome to the Downsville Church of the Brethren BLOG site. The church is located in Downsville, MD. We are a conservative Christian community lifting up the Name of Jesus daily.

Name:
Location: Downsville, Maryland, United States

I am the Pastor of the Downsville Church of the Brethren. This BLOG was set up to allow for interchanges of views, questions, ideas or suggestions concerning the Evangelical Church. While I am a Pastor in the Church of the Brethren all faiths are welcome to join the discussions.

Friday, May 05, 2006

The DaVinci gospel Judas Code

Test the Spirit

1 John 4:1 - 3 Dear friends, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world. 2 This is how you can recognize the Spirit of God: Every spirit that acknowledges that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is from God, 3 but every spirit that does not acknowledge Jesus is not from God. This is the spirit of the antichrist, which you have heard is coming and even now is already in the world.

We have heard a lot lately about the DaVinci Code and the Judas gospel. Each of these is the work of man and not from the "Spirit of God". Yet, they have a powerful pull on those who do not want to hear the truth. Worse, yet, is that the two get mingled in the minds of those who are not strong in the WORD. For those who have not immersed themselves in the scriptures it is easy to be led astray by writings like these two.

The author of the DaVinci Code makes two claims - first that the book is fiction (definitely a true statement) and secondly that he is a born again Christian. The second statement is the kind of twisted logic often used by the Adversary to cause the weak to stumble. If this is written by a "born again Christian" then it must be valid. This is the kind of confusion that the world wants. New Christians are targets of this - like new born lambs who can't keep up with the flock they are picked off by the wolves. Christians who have not studied the scriptures are targets of this - they can easily be confused by half-truths.

It is for those of us who have studied the scripture and believe in the truth of the scripture to stand up against this assault. Millions have read the DaVinci Code and swallowed the fiction as truth. Millions more will see the movie and, because they are predisposed to dislike the church, will accept the lies as a way of bolstering their resolve not to accept Christ in their hearts.

I am waiting for someone to ask me if I knew that Judas was Jesus Best Man when He married Mary Magdelene and that is why Jesus asked Judas to be the one to betray Him. Next will be someone saying that the "wine into water" was at Jesus wedding. These people are on their way to being lost because they will not read the Truth!

Unfortunately, the damage has been unleashed. We will see it in our own congregations. We will hear life time Christians ask questions that could only have come from one (or both) of these works.

We need to remind them to TEST THE SPIRIT - Is this from God? What do these works say about the divinity of the Christ?

The Adversary is attacking on many fronts and many of our soldiers haven't read the instruction book very closely. Without the WORD we are vulnerable. Without the Spirit we are lost.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pastor Wilk --

Are you still blogging? I'd like to read something new from you. I really liked the one about the storms at sea. You write very well. It sounds like you've been in that situation yourself. Do you use stories like these when preaching in church on Sundays?

Wednesday, September 12, 2007 5:58:00 PM  
Blogger Wilk said...

Thanks for the compliments. Yes, I am still blogging - I've just been busy lately. Your comments have drawn my attention back to my blog so I better get busy.

As for the storms at sea - I spent time in the North Atlantic during Winter when I was in the Coast Guard. I know the power of God's creation when a storm arises because I've seen it at work.

I do use much of what I have written in my blogs on Sunday morning. Join us some Sunday.

Thursday, September 13, 2007 7:29:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really wish that I could come to one of your services, but I no longer live in Maryland and I don't get back there very often any more. I see that you are celebrating the 150th anniversary of your church. Congratulations to you and all the congregation.

Friday, November 09, 2007 3:02:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home