Downsville Cob

Welcome to the Downsville Church of the Brethren BLOG site. The church is located in Downsville, MD. We are a conservative Christian community lifting up the Name of Jesus daily.

Name:
Location: Downsville, Maryland, United States

I am the Pastor of the Downsville Church of the Brethren. This BLOG was set up to allow for interchanges of views, questions, ideas or suggestions concerning the Evangelical Church. While I am a Pastor in the Church of the Brethren all faiths are welcome to join the discussions.

Thursday, March 30, 2006

Memories

A way in which we outdo God

Many of us grew up looking at Communion tables with the phrase, "This Do In Remembrance of Me" carved boldly. Do you realize that we all have better memories than God! No, this isn't blasphemy. Think about it for a minute.

Can you remember sins you committed 10 years ago? How about 20 or 30 years ago? I can. Some of them are crystal clear in my memory. God can't remember those.

Can you remember sins you committed last week? How about earlier today? I can. They are recent memories. God can't remember those.

I asked Him to forget them and He did. He didn't ask me to forget them because He knows me better than that. I have to catch myself when I ask for forgiveness because I have that human tendency to say things like, "I did it again, God." He must be scrathing His head wondering what I'm talking about. He has forgotten because I asked Him to.

Too bad we can't ask ourselves to forget with such good results. Have you been blocking God's love because you remember all that you did wrong and think He could never forgive or forget? We are coming up on Easter. That Easter centuries ago the Son of God took all our sins and paid the ultimate price so that we could live with a Father who forgets our failures. Too bad we don't.

You see, we have better memories than God.

Wilkie Nunn, Pastor, Downsville Church of the Brethren

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What did you do 30 years ago that was so bad?

Wednesday, September 05, 2007 7:25:00 PM  
Blogger Wilk said...

Thirty years ago I was a far from where God wanted me to be as I could comfortably get. He never left my side or gave up on me. I spent a good portion of my 20's and 30's drinking heavily and pursuing the pleasure of the flesh. Interestingly, the LORD arranged an allergy to overindulgences both fermented and lust based (no need to relive that wake up call).

Almost everything I did 30 years ago was in direct opposition to what the LORD was calling me to be and do. He sent my wife into my life about 27 years ago to lead me back to the path HE had chosen for me.

I haven't forgotten those days because to do so would be to forget how He sent His servants to take the "Prodigal" out of me.

May the LORD bless each of you as He leads you to the path HE has chosen.

Thursday, September 06, 2007 12:47:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am the same anonymous person that asked you the question. Thank you for your honesty. It meant a lot to me.

Have you been blessed with good health since you gave up those unhealthy addictions? I hope so.

May God keep you safe from now until eternity Pastor Wilk.

Friday, September 07, 2007 6:28:00 PM  
Blogger Wilk said...

As a matter of fact, my health has been better since giving up my bad habits [luckily I never took up smoking!]. I suffer some lingering effects of that old behavior but I see it as God's reminder to avoid such things again.

May the LORD bless your life and lead you through many wonderful moments until you see Him face to face.

Wilk

Saturday, September 08, 2007 9:54:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home